Writing and Research Internship for Al-Bia Wal-Tanmia Magazine
The Arab Forum for Environment and Development (AFED) is a regional not-for-profit, non-governmental, membership-based organization, located in Beirut, Lebanon. Using research and public education, AFED promotes public policies and institutional capacity that achieve sustainable development in Arab countries. Since 2007, AFED has provided a unique public forum to educate, inform, and advocate by focusing on strong science and partnerships. The main product of AFED is an annual expert report on Arab environment, tracking developments and proposing policy measures. Other initiatives include a regional corporate environmental responsibility program, capacity building for Arab civil society organizations, public awareness, and environmental education. AFED's flagship publication is "Al-Bia Wal-Tanmia" (Environment and Development) magazine.
AFED offers internships to highly motivated students and young professionals with good academic qualifications. The internship is a practical educational experience which helps the intern conceive, develop, and implement environmental programs. Interns are assigned projects and tasks that are relevant to their educational background. The internship program also offers interns the opportunity to develop a more profound understanding of the challenges of environmental sustainability in Arab countries. Internships are offered for a period of three months.
The intern will work with AFED staff to plan, develop, and implement activities that support AFED's multiple programs. Functions may include conducting research, analyzing policies, preparing reports, as well as developing material which may be used in publications and websites.
Key responsibilities with Al-Bia Wal-Tanmia
• Write and edit articles on environmental issues
• Conduct interviews
• Search for news about Arab and global environmental issues
• Update the website daily
• Prepare a Green Bulletin
• Engage in promoting the magazine.
Other key responsibilities with AFED
• Design and implementing programs
• Conduct research and analysis to identify relevant policy questions and justify solutions.
• Prepare outreach material as needed
• Draft proposals; contribute to the annual report and other reports as necessary.
Candidates should meet the criteria for selection listed below. They should be recent university graduates or in their final year of university education. In addition, candidates they have a good academic record and a demonstrated interest in the environment and its sustainability.
Criteria for Selection
• University degree in a related field, such as environmental management, engineering, economics, political studies, public administration, computer science, database management, sciences, business administration, media or journalism. Graduates of other disciplines may also be considered.
• Strong interest in and knowledge of environmental problems in Arab countries.
• Project management experience, including preparing work plans and, managing timelines.
• Mastering Arabic and English, with very good writing skills in Arabic.
• A good standard of computer literacy (especially Microsoft Office applications).
• Creativity, team-spirit, integrity and reliability.
• A 400-word statement in English explaining the candidate's reasons for seeking an internship placement with AFED.
• Copy of university degree(s).
• Copy of transcript of record.
• Insurance coverage, including hospitalization for the entire duration of the internship.
• Authorized residency in Lebanon for non-Lebanese applicants.
The intern is expected to cover travel and living expenses in Lebanon. Those accepted for internship at AFED can apply for scholarships from universities or organizations and will receive support from AFED to facilitate this process. AFED will not provide funding, but might under special conditions consider stipends to interns.